Monday, 22 August 2011

The Best Prime Minister that Never Was

I'm not going to pretend that I am extremely knowledgeable when it comes to Canadian politics.  In fact, ever since Stephen Harper has been the Prime Minister of Canada I can't stand listening to any of it.  In my personal opinion, he lacks passion.  In fact, at most debates or press conferences, he sounds like he is reading his children to sleep rather than fighting for a better future for Canada. 

When Obama was coming up the ranks and sought a potential win as the first black President, my family and I were and still are engrossed by every word he spoke.  I kept saying to my husband that I wished Canada had a leader like good old B.O.

The closest thing was Jack Layton.  I don't think I have ever seen an individual more passionate and dedicated to our country as he was.  He stirred my interest and made me want to vote.  I started reading more about what the parties were fighting for or against.  I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that he didn't end up being our Prime Minister, I truly believe that our country could have gone a long was with him as our leader. 

Everyone is talking about his death, moreover, everyone is saying how powerful he was, how he spent his life fighting for his beliefs and how he was the best Prime Minister that never was.

Heads up Canada...it's because of us that he wasn't.  Next time a man or woman like Layton miraculously appears, lets not waste any time.

After reading Layton's final letter to Canadians, I was deeply saddened.  Even in his last words he was trying to make things better on all fronts, cross all of his t's and dot all of his i's. 

The final words of his letter will ring loudly in the minds of so many Canadians....for so long:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

If we've heard nothing of what he's had to say....

Let's here that.

RIP Jack Layton

No comments:

Post a Comment